Friday, April 01, 2005

Moving House

Arrrgh I hate moving house. My 6 month lease just expired, and the owners want to move in. We had to find another place quick smart. Of course, because of the new land taxes, everyone is selling, landlords are selling, and people are looking to rent instead of buy. On top of that, rent has gone up about $20 per week on an average house. For this we can thank Bob Carr's state government. Each house had about 4-5 applicants which makes a lot of work, especially when you have to take time off 3-4 times a week to inspect houses that you are probably going to get declined for.
We got a place at the last minute, and had to move in on the last day, a Thrsday. I couldn't get time off work, so I had to do a 12 hour work day, then go home and move. We finished at about 3:00am. The new neighbours must love us:) All went pretty well, except I lost my desk off the back of the ute:S The Falcon utes are great, but the plastic in the tray is slippery:) We're all in now, and it's a big releif. I signed up for a full year this time, as I really don't want to go through it again any time soon.
I've decided to get broadband in this house, but even though it's a new area, there is no facility for ADSL or cable. I've decided to go with "Unwired" www.unwired.com.au "no wires, no wait, no worries":) We'll see, I get the modem on Tuesday, and I'll post up my review here. The prices seem quite reasonable, and the service simply throttles back when the download limit is reached, rather than billing you through the nose for each extra MB. There is also the option to buy more download volume. As far as I know, it's either this, or ISDN, which I can't afford.
I guess the only issue is the quality of the signal, there is a 14 day money back gurantee if there is no reception. I can't wait, doing web development from a 56kbps modem is a bit of a joke. Now I just gotta get a desk sorted out, or fix the one that fell off the back of the ute. (For all those non-Aussies reading this.... a Ute, or utility is like a car with a tray on the back. See http://www.ford.com.au/showroom/lightcomm/Commercial_Vehicles.asp for Ford Utes.)
We also now have a pet mouse. I found a baby mouse while moving out of the old house, I don't know how it escaped the cat, but it's now in a little cage, and will be getting a nice new cage with a wheel and proper food tomorrow, he's on bread and water now, literally:). I don't think he'd survive outside, he looks about 1-2 weeks old, I used to have mice as pets as a kid, and I just couldn't help myself.

No comments: