Monday, May 30, 2005

Thermo fan not working on the VP Commodore

Ever since I got this thing, the thermo fan has not been working. The thermo fan in this car is controlled by the ECU. The ECU reads the engine temperature via the coolant temp sensor. It uses this data to activate the fan at the correct time. The fan circut consists of a relay, drawing power directly from the battery to power the fan, and the relay is actuated by a feed from the ignition relay which is switched at the ECU, before going to earth. I've found I have no power from the ignition relay at the actuation pin on the fan relay. I plan on testing this tonight, and if this is not the problem, it has to be the wire back to the ECU. I don't care if I have to take the whole loom out. I will fix this irritating problem.

No comments: