Friday, May 20, 2005

ALDL Links and how to release the drive belt on a VN-VR Commodore

I've just found out I can plug my laptop into the engine managent computer in my car to get a readout. The data link is called ALDL (Assembly Line Data Link) and allows error fault codes to be read, along with various other information including live sensor output and other useful data. I have the software, all I need now is the cable, which I plan to make myself.

Also, I had hassles working out how to get the main serpentine belt off the engine. I couldn't find any clear info on how to do it on the internet. All you do is get a ratchet and correct size socket on the bolt in the middle of the pulley, and lean on it. You can release the tensioner enough to get the belt off. It's very simple. Thanks to the guys at West Ryde Ampol Service Centre for helping me out with this.

The reason I need to get it off, for anyone that's interested, is that I need to replace the temperature sensor which is situated underneath the alternator. The thermo fan does not come on, and it definately works, the relay is new, all the wiring has been tested. In the VN+ Commodores, thermo fan function is controlled by the ECU (Engine management computer) which gets it's information from the sensor. Hopefully, the sensor is giving a false reading which is causing the ECU to think it is always at operating temperature. If it's not that, I will be double checking the wiring, and then looking into reading the ECU to see if it's giving any fault codes. It might be as simple as a bad connection on the sensor, I'll find out when I get the alternator off.

No comments: