Monday, May 30, 2005

Nissan Exa Turbo

My mate has a 81 Nissan Exa Turbo. It's an interesting car, if contraversial. Many people have a lot of negative things to say about the Exa, but I've found it to be quite a fun machine. It's very light, weighing in at 900kg, and has a lightweight engine, a 1.5 litre turbocharged unit that will have this little car torque-steering across two lanes in first and second gear. It's quite a lot of fun, beats any naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, and gives 6 cylinder falcadores a run for their money. The handling is good (as long as you don't have too much power on) and the build quality.... well, being an 81 car, it's a bit late to say anything about build quality, but all indications are there that is was pretty good from the factory. I wouldn't expect less from Nissan. The engine is fuel injected, which in my opinion is the only way to feed a turbo, and the turbo comes on at about 2000rpm, right through to the top. The wastegate is adjustable via a thread on the actuation arm, and with an intercooler, the boost could be easilly taken up from the standard 5-6 pounds (With the necessary extra fuel, of course).
I have heard of these things running 15 second quarters with a simple air filter and a decent tune. If my VP is meant to run a 15.5 in standard trim, then I believe it.

No comments: