Thursday, March 09, 2006

PC Power Supply Failure

The power supply of a PC is one of the most common points of failure. My PC had been playing up for a while. When I would power it up, it would turn on momentarily and then switch it's self off. After this, it would require the plug to be pulled (or the power button to be held down) to reset it before powering up again. For a long time it would always fire up on the second go. Interestingly, it only started doing this after I upgraded the graphics card and moved to dual SATA drives, so the extra load must have pushed the old 350 watt PSU over the edge.

I recently moved house, and when I tried to get it going after the move, it would switch off again every time, not allowing me to start it up. In my stupidity, I tried this too many times and ended up corrupting the boot sector on my system drive.

I got a 450watt power supply with built in SATA power plugs, and it's all working well now. I had to load the recovery console and run chkdsk, fixmbr and fixboot, and luckily the hard drives are not physically damaged.

No comments: