Monday, March 13, 2006

Cross City Funnel - I Still Won't Use It

In a cynical attempt to drag motorists into the failed Cross City Tunnel, they have halved the toll and reversed some road changes.

Not good enough. Forget the tunnel. I'm not going into the city full stop, until the traffic light changes are reversed, and ALL the roads are re-opened. It's quite funny, I used to go into the city a bit, but since this tunnel opened, I just don't have the time to sit in traffic. I avoid it at all costs. I even know some tradesmen who do not take jobs on if they are in the city, just because it is unviable to spend 2 hours sitting in traffic just to get there.

Clover Moore can have her "garden city" with no roads or cars. There just won't be anybody there. As a 25 year old male, I will not get on a train in this city for fear of being mugged. Even in the day. I just know too many people that have run into trouble, and some of those people are much better able to defend themselves than I am. I'm just a skinny computer guy:)

Same goes for the M7. Everyone is raving about how good it is. I disagree. It should be a public road, funded by the government out of the massive taxes we pay to them. It doesn't have enough lanes, and therefore is nothing more than another inadequate piece of rubbish designed to make money for some corporation (Macquarie Bank, I believe. Surprise surprise.) I can't verify this, but I used to use Old Windsor Rd, which joins to the M7 every day, and ever since the M7 was opened, the traffic lights on Old Windsor Rd were more often red than green. I wonder what the reason for that would be. Couldn't be to force more people onto the tollroad could it?

I will continue to punch through the back streets to avoid these toll roads, and I'm currently modifying my car to handle chicanes, roundabouts and speed humps more quickly so I don't lose much time as I take my alternate routes. The cost of the petrol I use while hooning through the back streets is far less than the cost of paying the tolls. Tyres may be a different story, but I'd rather pay a bit more to tyre companies for actual tyres than to be rorted by Macquarie Bank for using a road. It's more fun to roar through backstreets than to sit on a tollway which is gridlocked with traffic anyway. They all have inadequate lanes, so this is always the case.

Make the Cross City Tunnel free, remove all traffic light changes and road closures, and then maybe I'll think about using it.

No comments: