Thursday, March 23, 2006

Power Steering Failure

My power steering has finally decided to die. It has had major fluid leaks for a few weeks, which have slowly been getting worse. Now the pump has seized because of no power steering fluid, and the belt just makes smoke because the pully won't turn. I've just sourced a reco rack and pump for $470 from the local power steering place.

It's a common problem with the older Commodores as they are quite heavy on the front and have a sharp rack and pinion set up which relies quite heavily on hydraulics. I have been driving without power steering for a week or two which has been interesting, and has really helped build up my arm strength.

I'm looking forward to installing a nice new (reco) pump, rack, tie rod ends and I'll get a much needed wheel alignment on the weekend.

The guys at Ryde Power Steering Pty Ltd have been great. They didn't realise I needed one today, as I probably didn't explain my self properly on the phone, but they are flatout getting one ready for me before close of play today (Friday afternoon).

Here's a free plug for them, I'd give them a link, but they have no website.

No comments: