Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Suffered a Hard Disc Crash

Every computer guy's worst nightmare happened to me the other day. I switched my computer on, only to find that my second hard drive would not spool up. I use the second drive to store data, and the first one for the operating system.
I lost a bit of data, but there was nothing on there that I need for work, just sentimental stuff from the last five years of working on computers. I had some great video clips of cars and things, photos of when I lived in Melbourne for 2 years, and some cool and funny stuff that I saved from emails over the years. It's a shame, but it's not devastating. To be honest, I have only myself to blame.
I have read that the life expectancy of a hard drive is 3 years. The 40gig IDE unit I was using was slightly older than that. It was a stand alone drive, and was not backed up.
I have now done what I should have done in the first place. My mainboard has a built in SATA dual channel RAID card, so I went out and brought 2 160gig SATA hard drives, which I will make into a RAID volume and partition to 60gig/100gig. The 60gig drive will be for the OS, and the rest for Data. The existing system drive will be reformated and installed with Linux.
I will be interested to see the improvement in performance between a single 6800RPM IDE drive and the dual 7200RPM SATA drives. It is for the extra performance that I will be using the new drives for the System drive also. It will be great to have Linux back too.

No comments: