Monday, December 19, 2005

Google update "Jagger" is all over

It appears that the huge update just past has stabilized, and although results are still moving, they appear to be doing so more slowly and in smaller groups.
I'm not a Google Watcher as such, I don't have lists of data centers stuck up on the wall, and I don't spend hours testing search terms to see what comes up where. It is interesting, though to see how the results move around as they churn through their terabytes of data. It gives a little insight into how they might do things.
I believe Google is a better product due to the update, a lot of rubbish sites are gone, and they seem to be cleaning up a lot of the long-since deleted files that were hanging around as supplimental results.
Personally, the update came at a bad time, as I was in the middle of a series of major structure and design changes to my main site. It is still not completely indexed in it's new form, but is getting there. Because of the structure change, and page deletions, it may be some time before the search engines have a full map of the entire site. The said website has over 20,000 pages of good content.

No comments: