Sunday, November 06, 2005

Biodiesel - Home made diesel

I heard about this a while ago and recently had a look at it. It turns out that is is relatively easy to make a form of diesel from vegitable oil that will run conventional diesel engines. Apparently the biodiesel is better for the engine than the mineral diesel.

They recon it works out at 30c per litre when made at home, and of course, diesel generally goes twice as far as petrol does.

When I get some spare time and some money, I am going to invest in a diesel Holden Gemini, and try and make some of this stuff, gradually working up from there. I will post the results up here, or possible make another site about it. It seems a goer and quite a few people seem to be doing it. Years ago I heard of a farmer who used home made diesel to run his whole fleet of vehicles and machinery.

There is actually a Biodiesel Assosciation of Australia site which contains lots of info about it and how to make it.

No comments: