Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Injector pintle caps

I've noticed a few posts and things on the net regarding pintle caps on injectors, and whether they can be left off. I dropped one of my injectors while trying to get the new o-ring on over the pintle cap (I cut the old ones off) It is very difficult if not impossible to get the seal on over the pintle cap, and they need to be renewed if they are removed. When it hit the ground the pintle cap broke off, so I decided to remove them all. The information I had told me that they are there to stop the injectors getting dirty, and to stop fuel from drying on the pintles after switch-off, leaving a residue. I figured since I am getting a new set in a few weeks, they should be fine. They are, the car runs, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't think they have any influence on spray pattern as the fuel doesn't touch the pintle cap. I'm saving up for a set of exchange injectors from Aznew. These are available from most Repco stores on an exchange basis for about $250 for a V6 Commodore.
I'm up for a new Lambda (Exhaust gas oxygen content) sensor, as the car is running worse when it's warm than it is when it's cold.

No comments: