Thursday, September 08, 2005

GTech Pro accelerometer

I just purchased a GTech performance meter from E-Bay for $50. I always heard that these things are $250, so I wasn't sure if this one was going to be any good. I know the name GTech though and remember wanting one years ago, so I brought it.


I'm surprised at how useful it has proven to be so far. It is a small device about the size of a pager, and it sticks to the inside of the windscreen with a suction cap attachment, which is adjustable to make it level. The power lead plugs into the cigarette lighter. The main factor is having it perfectly horizontal at all times during use. When it is switched on, it displays a real time g-force reading, and it can be adjusted on it's mounting bracket until it reads zero. The only problem is if you have a car which squats or wheel-stands when it launches, as the pitch change causes gravity to offset the readings. Apparently there is a new GTech unit which measures g-force on multiple axes, and can compensate for this. This is probably why mine was available so cheaply.

Here is the GTech Pro website for anyone that's interested.

It only arrived today, so I've only had a chance to do the 0-100kph test (actually 0-60mph as it's made in the USA). It's hard to find a dead flat, quarter mile long stretch of road to stop in the middle of before blasting down it at full throttle around here:) It got 9.2 seconds with a heap of wheel spin, and then 8.3 seconds with a more sedated launch. The factory specs are 8 seconds for the V6, so I'm pretty pleased with that. I'm sure I can get them faster. I'm not used to doing launches any more having had the Subaru for so long, so it's going to take a bit of practise to get up to scratch again. The idea to to have it on the edge of traction, but not breaking it, right from the start of motion. Easier said than done in a car with a heap of power (8-10 times more than mine).

The other tests it does are 60mph-0 stopping distance in feet, instant G-force readings, quarter mile terminal speed, and rear wheel horsepower. I will post the results when I get a chance to do those tests.

GTechs are cool and I recommend them so far. I wouldn't pay $250 for it, but for $50 it's a great guide to the performance of a car. I always used to think my car was slower some days, or worry it was not making all it's power for some reason. Some modifications make the car louder or sound different can make a car "feel" faster when it actually isn't. A loud, low car with rock hard suspension will feel faster than a new 7 BMW with the same acceleration.

I'll post up here if I have any hassles with it.

No comments: