Friday, August 12, 2005

The new Sydney Cross-city tunnel. I won't be going under.

Sydney motorists are sick of tolls. We pay massive taxes on fuel, which go up every time the fuel price rises, and GST on top of that. We pay road taxes and registration that are supposed to go into the maintenance of the roads. Greed (speed) cameras on the side of vast long stretches of road and at the bottom of hills reap millions every month. Council rangers use shady and under-handed tactics to squeeze every last dollar out of people trying to park up for a days work. Yet every new road that is built in Sydney (to cope with the massive influx of population) has to be a tollway. These tollways are private projects, funded and managed by private companies, who then sit back, and reap millions off these tolls, as motorists are forced to pay to use sub-standard tollways. Look at the M5, it is a carpark most peak times. I can't comprehend the idea of actually paying to use it.
The new cross city tunnel is another such toll road. It has just been revealed that the NSW government is going to close the other route to the city, forcing motorists to pay their toll. (not actually their toll, the toll goes to their corporate mates, but they imposed it on us.)
I will NEVER use these toll roads. I pay enough in road tax, I believe I should be able to get around on the roads I already pay for. If I have to go through the city, I will not use the tunnel on principal, and will roar through whatever endless backstreets I need to in order to reach my destination, as I do already to avoid other toll roads. I do pity the residents that live on those backstreets, but we are all in the same boat. If enough motorists complain about toll roads and refuse to use them, and enough residents complain about increased traffic on back streets due to people avoiding toll roads, maybe we will see some action and an end of this trend of governments tricking us into paying private enterprise for services that we already pay the government for. Then, to add insult to injury, making us put up with the sub-standard services provided by these private operators as they sit on their governement sanctioned cash-cow and reap in the millions from thousands of motorists sitting in gridlock on their cheaply made tollways that are of inadiquate capacity. Then all roads other than the tollway are closed to help feed the cash cow.

No comments: