Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Head gasket set and cylinder heads on the way

I'm a few days out from doing the big job on the Commodore. I have found some cylinder heads. I got quoted $100 each from pick and payless, and I would have had to take them off myself. I found a place here in West Ryde called Buffalo Wreckers, who have them already off, and will let me have them for $80 each, which is much better, and the guy said I can choose them myself. I'm just hoping I can judge valve condition reasonably well without taking the valves out. I don't plan on getting these heads reconditioned, they will just get cleaned up, new stem seals, and I'll take the valves out and check margin, and play between the valve stem and guide. Hopefully all will be ok. I have ordered a head gasket and seal set from Hunter Holden, which will be in on Friday. $255 for the gasket set isn't cheap, but there's two heads, so it's going to cost more than the 4 cylinder engines that I am used to working on. I just need to get a valve spring compressor to get the valves out, and we're all action. I will post pics of the procedure up here along with any interesting things I find, including what it is inside my engine that has caused cylinder number 3 to lose compression.
I'll pick up the heads tomorrow and begin cleaning them up and getting them ready. Sunday will be the big changeover.

No comments: