Monday, July 04, 2005

Got ALDL working on the Commodore

I finally got my ALDL link to the ECU happening on the weekend. Hooked it up and got it going using the WinALDL software package which is available on the internet. I used a circuit derived from the one they have up there and it worked first time. The exact circuit diagram is shown below:

For more info regarding hooking up an ALDL link to your Commodore, check out this link. It basically tells you everything you need to know and do to make it happen.

I uncovered another little issue also, the engine has always been missing at idle. I worked out that it is cylinder #3 that is missing, and thought it was a fuel issue, as I had already tested spark and replaced the sparkplug. I swapped the injectors over, and the same cylinder is still missing on idle. Also when I crank the engine over, it seems to crank slightly irregularly like it's missing compression on one cylinder. The cylinder does kick in under throttle, so I'm sure it's a bent valve or something like that. Possible piston/rings but unlikely.
I'm going to get a second hand engine within the next few weeks, swap it over, and pull the old one apart. Im planning to build a decent worked V6 from it if the internals (mainly the bottom end) are in good condition. This engine will hang in there for a while, until I get funds for the new engine, and interestingly enough it seems to have full power on throttle, and the engine isn't showing any rich mixtures, so I recon it's a valve slightly bent and not seating.

No comments: