Saturday, February 26, 2005

Froogle doesn't like backslashes in URLS

I've always considered URLs containing backslashes to be technically incorrect URLs, and HTML uses the / "foreward slash" character as a separator. Infact, using backslashes is unique to Microsoft as far as I know. I just realized that on a large shopping site I run, all the image urls contained a backslash. I hadn't noticed this before, because both the Microsoft and Netscape browsers understand "\" in the code.

Ive just been looking at Froogle, Google's online shopping directory. It's quite impressive, it's like a big online shop, taking pages from millions of online stores around the world. It displays images from the product pages, and I notced mine were not displaying. I've just noticed in the logs that Google is replacing the backslash in the URL with %5c when it's crawling the images. I've fixed it all now, I'll update the static pages on Monday and all will be sweet. It's a bit annoying though because Google has just done a massive deep crawl of our site, hopefully they will be back soon.

No comments: