Saturday, October 15, 2005

Saw the Aviator last night - Great movie

My housemate brought a movie home last night, The Aviator starring Leonardo DeCaprio. Although I'm not a massive fan of the actor, I have to say it would be hard to imagine anyone else playing such a convincing part. The Aviator is a movie set in the 30s based on the life of Howard Hughes, the famous millionaire, movie maker, and aircraft builder. It covers his undertaking to make the most expensive movie of all time, and the various projects and events that took place during his life, such as his various record breaking achievements, and the design and construction of some of the most revolutionary aircraft. Namely the Hercules flying boat which was the largest aircraft of the time, and led the way for the massive aircraft that are in widespread use now.
This is a fascinating movie, especially for myself, as Howard Hughes was someone I used to read about as a kid as one of the greatest innovators of the aircraft industry. I've always loved planes. If I had more coin I'd be playing with planes instead of cars.

No comments: