Thursday, December 30, 2004

First post - Gday Everyone

Hi and welcome to my blog. I live in Australia and work in I.T. Throughout the past six years I have persued various areas of the industry, basically taking what was available opportunities, learning from them, and making the most of them. Unlike many, I have never had trouble finding work in I.T. I have been very lucky.
From tech support, to PC sales, to hardware maintenance I have done a few different things (I started an apprenticeship as an engine reconditioner before that.) but I now find myself in the business of developing websites. Business on the web is a bit like playing the pokies, it's addictive, much easer to break even, but just as hard to get rich.
The addictive bit is what drives me:) every day, do a bit more, study the craft of making websites. There is more information online on web development than one can read in a lifetime (and some of it is contradictorty - there are many schools of thought in web design), and like other areas of I.T., it is constantly changing. But that's one of the things I love about the I.T. industry. nothing ever stagnates. If there is a hint of a better way, it will be tried immediately, and switched to if successful. And no one every REALLY knows whats going on, becasue it's all so new. Things have been tried and tested, but only a few of them, and those only a few times.
As web developers, our job is to put information on the web in a context and format that attracts traffic which will benefit from that site. I have started web developing at a point in the life of the internet where the number of sites is large, and although the number of users are growing, any area where there is money to be made is saturated with content - everybody having a go:) So the game is to find new ways of making money on the web, targeting new potential customers, and simply putting the most interesting sites togeather that people will like, use, re-visit, and most importantly, haven't been done to death. I don't mean "innovations" like pop-ups, exit windows and things like that - they were never a good thing, but new novel ideas for whole sites, new ways to use the internet. I think frames were a good thing, although we, and the web weren't ready for them. They added crippling complexities to a system that relies on it's simplicity (the web).
But yeah, sites that you can look at the traffic cams from work before driving home, sites that provide mobile phone services etc. Things like that. It's just like, if I you were going to do a forum, a dating site, a shopping site, or something like that, it would have to be a damn good site to even scrape in a bit of traffic, and tireless promotion, link swapping and submitting to creep up to the level of the established websites in those categories.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi John, I too am a new blogger and work in IT. Only I am 54 years old and most of my career is behind me. I live in the US, Minnesota to be precise, and just happened on your blog with the "next blog" random button. My name is Kenneth, and my email address is frugalman@softhome.net
I'm just saying a random happy new year to someone. What is a Commodore V8? Sounds like a big car like used to be popular in the states. My advice to young people is to live a little below your means, take advantage or retirement savings plans if available and save a little money. You'll never be sorry you did. If you can do that, go ahead and get the V8!
At my age, I am mostly beyond the allure of the shiny new vehicle or stereo. I did buy a desktop and laptop this year, but they were from poker winnings. I play online poker and do quite well at it. I should - I have over 50 books in my poker library.
I have 4 boys (young men such as yourself) and 4 grandchildren. It is New Years eve here, and we are babysitting two of our granddaughters.
Again, best wishes and blogging to you, John!